Profeeds Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability
OUR STRATEGIC APPROACH
Supporting animal welfare continues to be a critical focus of the Profeeds’ Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives, as well as empowering local communities in generating sustainable income.
Honde Valley-Mutasa District Aquaculture
Fish Feed plant installed with capacity of producing 600 metric tonnes per month
Profeeds was established in 2007 as a stock feed manufacturing plant. With 14 years of high performance stock feed manufacturing experience; Profeeds feed covers a variety of species and are specialists in Poultry (Broiler and Layer), Cattle, Horse, Pig, Goat, Rabbit, Dog and Aquatic feed.
Profeeds invested in various innovative projects during the financial year.
Profeeds enhanced its manufacturing facilities as follows:
- A second boiler was installed at the business during the year, and with this, current steam output will double, from 3MT to 6MT of steam per hour.
- Installed a 16 sqm cold storage facility during the latter part of the financial year. This valuable investment enhances Profeeds ability to purchase, store and sell vaccines to industry standards.
- Profarmer Hub – Harare is the only branch currently set up to sell vaccines, however, the business expects more store locations to hold vaccinations in 2022.
- By adding vaccinations to our retail product basket, we bring Profeeds closer to servicing all small-scale farmers efficiently, from under one roof.
- A new fish feed plant was commissioned towards the end of the financial year. All fish feed, crocodile feed and dog feed are processed through this plant. The business is optimistic and aims to increase the plants’ capacity utilisation to 80% within the next year.
- Notwithstanding the challenges brought about by the pandemic during the year, Profeeds managed to expand its re-branded, and refurbished “ProFarmer” retail network, with 12 sites nationwide, including; Bulawayo CBD, Bulawayo Belmont, Murehwa, Chiredzi, Kadoma, Kariba, Chinhoyi, Karoi, Rusape, Guruve, Masvingo, Zvishavane and Harare Town Shop.
As part of our efforts to recognize, and appreciate the contribution of our Mothers, a Mothers’ Day give away campaign was undertaken via the Profeeds’ Facebook page. The campaign was a fantastic success and two lucky Mothers, Rachel Sigauke and Farisai Tapera won prizes.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Profeeds supports Imire Rhino & Wildlife Conservation through the donation of game feed pellets. During this financial year, Profeeds donated 34MT of feed for the animals at the reserve. The year saw the birth of Kamchacha; Imire’s sixth black rhino born on the reserve since the breeding initiative began in 2015. Six calves in seven years is an unbelievable achievement for the reserve, and Profeeds will continue to support the great work being undertaken at Imire to preserve these animals for future generations.
All Imire rhinos have been successfully darted and Very High Frequency (VHF) pulse collared which allow 24/7 access of their whereabouts which is vital for anti-poaching protection.
Imire has also been selected as a cheetah rewilding project and have welcomed two cheetahs onto the reserve to be rewilded from Canada. The cheetahs have settled in well and are hunting very successfully.
Veterinarians for Animal
Welfare Zimbabwe (VAWZ)
Profeeds, through VAWZ, provide financial support toward a series of Rabies and Sterilisation Campaigns. During the year, campaigns were held in Caledonia, Chimanimani and Zvishavane.
Zimbabwe National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ZNPSCA) For every bag of Prodog 8kg chunks, 50c (USD) is donated to the ZNSPCA as part of an ongoing commitment and in 2021.
Long Service Awards
Profeeds being a young company was very proud to celebrate and recognise some of its employees who attained their 10-year milestone.